Friday, June 12, 2009

End of the School Year!

Another year has already come and gone and I'm wondering how it went by so quickly! Blake had his kindergarten graduation on June 2nd. Here were some of his supporters that came out for the big event:I was so impressed with his teacher Mrs. Moore. She has a way of making each kid feel so smart and special. And she went to a lot of effort to put a cute dvd together of all of the kids with pictures from the school year as well as the cutest memory book.



When they handed out certificates, Blake got the award for "Being the Kindest Friend." I can't tell you how proud that made me. Academics, although important and he got all E's (except in handwriting), are NOT as important to me as social skills right now. I struggle with how to teach my kids to "be nice to everyone", "never leave anyone out", "if you see someone being teased, stick up for them." How they treat others is way more important to me than their spelling grade, math skills or handwriting ability. So I was extremely happy to know that Blake was a kind friend! And it was cute to read through the papers that his classmates had written about him. Here was my favorite from a little girl who must have a crush on my boy:

"Blake - you are famous and you are a good friend. Blake your hair is handsome. Blake you're so handsome. You're so funny Blake. My favorite color is blue and you have blue eyes. I like you. I want to fill your bucket today!"

So...I needed to have some clarification on what "fill your bucket" meant. Blake explained that they'd read a book in class about having an invisible bucket. People that are nice fill your bucket by telling you good things. Mean people empty your bucket by saying bad things about you. Phew. Glad that's all it meant!




(Check out Chloe's look as if she's deciding what mischief to get into next!)
Hayley had another great year too. Mrs. White was a wonderful teacher and Hayley really took off with her love for reading this year. When I was her age I was always immersed in a book. I loved going to the library and checking out a huge pile of them. And I would save my money to go to the bookstore to buy one. I still love the smell and feel of a brand new book! So this year Hayley caught that bug, especially once she discovered series that she enjoyed like the American Girl Dolls. Now it's hard to get her nose out of a book!

Here are few pics from the first and last days of school this year. Can't believe how much they've grown up!

Hayley's first day of 2nd grade with Mrs. White
And the last day of 2nd grade - Blake's 1st day of kindergarten - He looks so young!!


Last day of kindergarten
Crazy that another school year has come and gone. But let the summer begin! Mom needs a little break!

1 comment:

Marci Coombs said...

Wow! They really have grown up in the past year. I can still remember vividly the day they were born!!!