Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Birthday That Keeps On Going . . .

Who knew that the 8th birthday festivities would continue all month long? They've been fun but keeping us busy!

Hayley turned 8 on April 4th. Seems like yesterday we were driving her home as a newborn. Brent drove about 25 mph because of the precious cargo of our firstborn! As a newborn, she cried a LOT and rarely slept. We were lucky if she slept for more than 30 minutes at nap time, and she was up every 2 hours at night for months. She had colic and cried every night for hours. But then when she reached about 5 months, she changed into the perfect baby. She fell into a routine and I finally got some sleep! Even as a baby, she always seemed to have a look in her eye like she knew exactly what was going on. When she turned one, I wrote a list of the 25 words she was already saying. (I thought that was normal until my other kiddos came along . . .) She talked very early and hasn't stopped since. We've played the Quiet Game on several occasions (especially in the car) just to keep myself sane and gain some peace & quiet if only for a few minutes. Hayley has always been so responsible and helpful. She is a very rulesy kid and therefore pretty obedient (of course we sometimes get the rolling of the eyes, but she always ends up doing what's asked). I can't imagine my life without Hayley in it.

For her actual birthday, we did the traditional date without any of her siblings. She finally got to get her ears pierced! She's been dying to get her ears pierced for years now and complained that we were making her wait. So needless to say - this was one of the most exciting things she was anticipating for her birthday. She was very brave and didn't even flinch when it happened.



As for dinner, she chose (surprise, surprise) Red Robin. I think she has chosen this restaurant for the past 3 years. But I'm not complaining. The Chicken Whiskey River burger is my fav.

One of the favorite gifts she received this year was a little sewing machine from Aunt Tori. My mom has just started teaching her how to sew. So she was sooo excited to get this. She has it in her mind that she's going to learn how to sew American Girl doll clothes so she doesn't have to buy them. I haven't sewed anything since Junior High Home Ec class (a monkey pillow and a pair of capris) so I'm hoping my mom has some time to spend with her :)

She got to go to Activity Days this week and LOVED it. She came home with her Faith in God booklet and said she wants to read it all before she gets baptized. And because they give charms for each Article of Faith, she's anxious to memorize the last 8! She was wondering if it would be possible to do in one week. Not for me, but she just might be able . . .

Now on to the baptism next week . . .

If I can get through that, I'll finally be able to breathe a sigh of relief. May is looking like a breeze . . .

3 comments:

Julie Letner said...

Ok, you have to tell me how you did your daughter's baptism announcement. I love it! Is it a template from one of those picture websites...(the name of the one I use for our Christmas cards escapes me at the momen). I love all the wording...I bet you did it yourself. So creative. Looks like she had a fun birthday. See you tommorow. Happy Easter.

Owen said...

She is so cute!! Love the invites!! We pierced Tori's ears when she turned 8 too and it seemed REALLY special to her after having to wait that long! Here's to lazy days in May!

Stacey said...

Love the birthdays that last all month! Hayley looks gorgeous in all the pictures!