Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Head Above Water

It's been one of those months. One where you feel like your life is on fast forward and there is no slowing down. One where every day and night is packed with appointments, meetings or activities. Fun things, good things, but busy. I wrote out my to do list the other day and filled up a page in a steno notebook. I was sad to realize I only crossed off 4 items that day because I was too busy doing things not on my list. Don't get me wrong. I love to be busy. I like having things to do - people to see - and places to be. But I've been overwhelmed the past few days with it all. Feeling like I can barely keep my head above water. Feeling frustrated that my house looks like it's falling apart and there are loads of laundry piling up. Frustrated that I am not able to get more things done each day because of my schedule. Frustrated that I couldn't remember the last time I read a book to my 1 year old. Brent has been working 12-16 hour days and I feel like some days I only see him for literally a matter of minutes. So sad.

I left my house at 9:00 this morning knowing that I wouldn't be home until 9:00 tonight. I said a prayer asking Heavenly Father to help me out today because I didn't know how I was going to get it all done. And I know that he answered my prayer. My friends are angels and always seem to step in when I need them to. So grateful for them. Babysitters were miraculously able to tend for me today. And as I sat in a church meeting I had grumbled about going to, I was overwhelmed with a sense of peace that I was where I needed to be. That He was aware of my sacrifice to be there. That everything would be ok. And I realized that I'm grateful that I CAN be busy. That I have my health and am able to get around to do things. How lucky I am.

My friend and I joke about "tender mercies" but I felt them today.

When I got home at 9 after dropping the babysitter off, I tucked the kids in and Kate started to cry. She usually goes right down, and after hearing her fuss for about 5 minutes, I realized that maybe she just needed some mommy time. So I got her out of bed, got her a drink and sat down just to rock her and talk to her. We read a book. She just snuggled and smiled. And again it made me count my blessings. We visited for about 15 minutes and she was content when I laid her down again.

Our schedules won't be slowing down for awhile, so for now I'll just keep moving and doggie paddling and trying to keep my head above water, praying that I don't forget anything important along the way . . . and realizing that I am blessed beyond measure and that Heavenly Father will help me find a way to get the important things done.

And for now the laundry and the house cleaning will have to wait yet another day . . .

"Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest"

5 comments:

Owen said...

So sweet Steph. I think we're all in that same pool treading water with a prayer in our hearts to survive. Every once in a while someone throws us a buoy and we can rest from treading water. Thank goodness for those "life guards". Keep your chin up....above water ;)

Brock and Lisa McKeown said...

I am soooo with you sister! I just tell myself you gotta do it and it will be worth it some day.

Lindsay said...

Ya know I was just thinking of the scripture today that says "Be still, and know that I am God." It is so hard to be still, but it is in those short quiet moments that we can feel Him in charge. You and Brent are SO busy and yet so willing to serve in your church callings. People watch you. I watch you! I'm inspired to paddling along with you.

Drop off a load of laundry any day! Seriously, I'm home with my little nappers. :)

Marci Coombs said...

I love this post. Last night, I was praying to 'be able to accomplish everything that was needed of me' when it hit me...my most important task each days IS taking care of my kids and paying attention to them. Not so much the cleaning and crossing things off the list. This is a very hard lesson for us Lamoreaux's to learn...we love being in control, huh?

Stacey said...

Steph... I soooo understand! You really are a superwoman though! You are such a great example to me. Thanks for being such a great friend!