We had told the kids about this a few weeks ahead of time so they were super excited for the big day. (And it made for great bribery too!) They could choose their activity. Brent and Blake took the morning shift. They left at 9:00 am to go fishing. Blake has been wanting to do this since he got his fishing pole for his birthday. They headed over to Power Ranch and after a little while of seeing no fish, they decided to go to another location over off of Riggs. When Blake was just 2, he caught a huge fish and we have the picture of it. So I think he thought it would be like that every time he went. Even though they didn't catch anything, they still had a lot of fun. I think Blake is wanting to try real worms next time.
Then we were off to her next activity. She was dying to see Beverly Hills Chihuahua -- not a movie I had been excited to see, but it was at the dollar movie, and it was her choice, so we went. And I actually liked it! I know my other kids would enjoy it, so I think I'll be buying this one.
Afterwards we headed to the mall. She had been saving her allowance for weeks now and wanted to get the pop star outfit for her webkinz, but then decided on a bed for them all from Build a Bear. It was so fun to shop at the mall with her. Usually I have a stroller filled with kiddos and it's not very relaxing, but this was great. Her favorite store is Claire's and she is counting the days until she gets her ears pierced (her 8th birthday in April). She wanted to look through every pair of earrings, every accessory and every purse. I literally had to drag her out.
We shared a sundae from Dairy Queen. At one point while we were eating, I thought I had left my cell phone at the salon and she said, "You know, mom. . . I'm kind of glad you lost your phone because this is supposed to be a fun day with just you and me and I like that just you and me are talking!" And that made the whole date worth it. Also makes me realize that I talk way too much on the phone and it probably drives my kids crazy. I loved talking with Hayley & I'm realizing how grown up she's getting. We talked about her friends, how school was going, what she likes about her teacher, and her new favorite movie (Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants -- of all movies). We had such a fun time together.

8 comments:
That's such a great idea. J and Little Miss C always have daddy-daughter dates, and lately I've been jealous of that one on one time they have. I think I'll have to start taking her out on dates too, and we'll switch off with the boys. I'd be nice to have at least one day every few months where they see me as a calm, normal mother. :)
We need to start those! It's true, I think when the kids are with me just one at a time that I actual LOVE spending time with them. It's enjoyable!
What a great idea!! Life is easier with just one kid, especially shopping.
How fun, that"s a great idea.
We have totally been planning on doing the same thing so THANK YOU for the reminder and the inspiration to actually do it!
Such a great idea. We usually do a one-on-one date for their birthdays, but I love the idea of doing it just because.
And we have a couple of Webkinz fanatics at our house, too. Glad to know it's not just us!
We have those too! We've been attempting Scott and I taking one kid out at a time and it is hilarious where they want to eat and what they want to do! Boston chose to eat at Costco. I think I'd win mom of the year if I had only one child as well.
Where did you get your pedicures? What a deal. These day dates sound like a fabulous idea.
Post a Comment