- Why is it that my kids are always quiet until the second I get on the phone?
- Why can I find time to read the Twilight series but find it hard to make time for personal scripture study?
- Why do we feel the need to one-up others? Before you even finish your story, they cut you off and jump in with one of their own. They have to tell you why their kids, or husband or they were even funnier, smarter, crazier or more destructive (you fill in the blank) than whatever you just told them. It's funny how I can even see my kids and their friends doing this. If one says that they have "x" amount of Webkinz, the other kid has to say that they have even more. If one kid says they're going on vacation, the other kid has to tell why their vacation was even better. Where does this come from? I admit I'm guilty of this at times when I want to share a story, not with the intent to one-up, but that it relates to what they just told me and I'm excited to share my experience. I'm realizing though that I need to just step back and do a better job of simply listening.
- Why can't I sing with vibrato?
- Why if I've been trying to be better about my diet and cut down on the soda and treats, did I gain a pound this week?
- Why do couples go grocery shopping together? This is another one of my pet peeves. Probably because when I go shopping it's like a race for me to see how quickly I can get it done. I usually have two kids in tow with me so I don't like to be slowed down (which is why I avoid Fry's on Senior Discount Days). But when couples shop together, they take up the entire aisle! I pull up behind them to try to pass but they don't see me there. I wait "patiently" (while fuming inside) as they discuss the nutrional content on the box or debate over which brand is better or costs less. I want to yell "Just put the darn box of cereal in your cart and move on!" But I finally just say "Excuse me!" so I can pass by them, only to run into them again two aisles down.
- Why has my head cold lasted about two weeks now?
- Why is it that there are some people in my life that I know sooo much about -- I'm talking details about their kids, extended family, their day to day doings - and yet I've realized that in actuality they know very little about me. Maybe I'm guilty of not proactively sharing more about myself, but I kind of figure if they don't take the time to ask questions about me, then they probably don't care so why bother.
- Why can't this gorgeous weather last all year long?
If I were telling these things to my mom, she'd probably say I need to relax and that I should just go outside and get a breath of fresh air. My dad would say I should loosen my bra straps. Maybe I'll go do both.

6 comments:
A. I've been dieting for 2 weeks now and have lost a total of ONE POUND....that's uno lbs.!! Very familiar with your disgust.
B. I am often guilty of rambling and venting/overtaking a conversation very easily...I need to just shut up and listen.
C. Scott and I go grocery shopping together sometimes on our date nights out of pure necessity for milk and bread. I don't think I have ever blocked an aisle though...hmmm, another thing I may need to watch.
D. I'd go loosen my bra strap if I didn't still have on my sweaty sports bra since I haven't gotten around to showering since working out earlier....I probably gained that lb. back today too.
E. If I'm irritated, I usually just crack open a DP and sip away.
F. Luv ya Steph.
Ummmm...do you need to borrow some Prozac? I can run it over if you'd like :) I can agree with all of your pet peeves though...especially the grocery shopping one. It totally bugs. Who wants their husband to tag along and see every single item you purchase anyways???
P.S. Mom and dad are the exception on the grocery shopping rule. They do do EVERYTHING together. But I can't see them blocking an aisle.
The vibrato concern is hilarious. I don't sing with it because I remember being a kid and belly laughing with my sisters at the people in church who did use it, usually while they were performing up front!
I hear you on all of those and am guilty. I would loosed my bra straps as well but, then I would just have to tuck, fold, pull, push and refold just to get them back to a normal position and that just takes too much time. Time I should be reading my scriptures!
I like your Dad's advice. I've never heard that before. I think I'll use it in the future. I have some of the same complaints and probably need to loosen a few things myself!
Post a Comment