I don't know who started it. But one day one of the kids started adding this to their prayer: "Please bless that no bad guys will get us." A little disturbing to me at first. But it stuck with the others. Now they all say that phrase in their prayers whether it be at mealtime or bedtime.
Today I was very grateful that prayer was answered.
The kids went to my parents house today while I was at work. When I picked them up, one shouted "Kate got lost at the mall today."
Excuse me?
Marci had asked Grandpa to join them at the mall with the kids so they could all play at the play place and then go to McDonalds. It was 112 out today so it was very crowded in the play place as mothers were trying to figure out activities in the A/C to keep the kids cool.
Apparently, Kate didn't see anyone from the family after a minute or two, so she left the play place.
A few minutes later, my dad and sister OVERHEAR a mall cop saying that they have a missing kid in the office, but at that point, my dad and sister STILL don't do a kid check. They keep chatting. (I can laugh about this now, but still a little in shock.)
TEN minutes later, another mall cop brings Kate to the play place. I'm sure they were fully expecting by now to see a frantic mother in tears running up and down the mall screaming this child's name. But nope. Marci & dad still don't realize Kate is missing.
It's Hayley who looks over to see Kate bawling and holding a tissue in her hand. Hayley comes up to ask Kate if she's ok, having no idea she's been gone for awhile. The mall cop asks Hayley who she's with and she points to Marci. It's only then Marci realizes what has just happened and feels horrible.
Like I said - I can laugh about this only because of the outcome. I don't even want to think about all of the "could haves" with this story.
But you can bet I snuggled Kate a little longer today. And read her a few more books than usual. I thoroughly enjoyed the puppet show she put on for me today where the hippo ate the princess. And instead of rushing through it, I cherished the opportunity to help her put her puzzles together. I even gave in and said ok when she asked to sleep in my bed tonight.
Kate was protected today. No bad guys got her. So tonight I am grateful for my children's sweet prayers being answered. And now I hope my children continue to say that in their prayers for a long, long time. We need all of the protection we can get.
(Side note: The same afternoon the kids went to the pool with grandma and grandpa. As they were all packed up ready to leave, Chloe decides to jump in the deep end one last time. Forgetting everything she'd learned in swim class, she starts to panic. Again, Hayley comes to the rescue and jumps in after her. Thank you, Hayley, for coming to Kate & Chloe's rescue today! I almost lost two kids in one day. Yikes.)

3 comments:
oh my!! That was quite the day for your kids. So glad everyone made it home. Your poor mom, dad, and Marci, it might be a while before they take the Foster kids out again. Yes, it is a good thing our prayers are answered!
Tear up #2 of the day! Wow you and your extremly "all choked up" potential! Good reminder that the Lord DOES answer prayers! Hero Hayley is good to have around too.
Oh My we really aren't bad grandparents. Just a little slower at reaction time. But yes we were blessed to have everything work out that day. What a blessing. Keep those prayers coming.
Post a Comment