Friday, July 16, 2010

Lifes Lessons Learned from Girls Camp

I'm not gonna lie. I hate camping. I don't like sleeping in uncomfortable conditions. I don't like using public restrooms, let alone ones in the wilderness. I don't like bugs and critters. There's nothing fun about not showering and having that not so fresh feeling.

Now don't get me wrong - I love enjoying the beauty of nature. I just don't like sleeping in it.

So when I was called as YW president, I worried about girls camp. . . because here's another secret . . . I only went one year when I was a YW. We slept in tents. We used a port-o-john. And yes, I had a good time getting to know the other YW. But the next year girls camp was the same week as our annual family vacation to the beach.

Beach condo or camp. . .

Beach condo or camp. . .

Hard decision, but I chose beach. And then the next year I had cheerleading camp at the same time. If I didn't go to cheerleading camp, I was off the squad. And by my 4th year, I just figured why bother. (I know . . . amazing I was ever called to be YW president. Maybe this is payback?)

So our YW's girls camp was this week. And because I have to work, I wasn't able to take off the whole week and attend. But I really wanted to attend the day of testimony meeting, so I rearranged my work schedule and drove up early Wednesday morning so I could spend the entire day there. I was so excited to see the girls! (They look a little somber below only because it was during the scripture hike which was so reverent and very spiritual!)
The theme for camp this year was The Amazing Race to Life Eternal. And I had a blast going to all of the stations and watching the girls complete them. And with all of them, there were a dozen ways to relate it to their life and what they go through at home.


Like the zip line . . . some parts of life are so fun and thrilling! (But just like the zip line, those experiences seem to fly by too quickly!)
Others are much more of a challenge. This is the Wall Challenge. They had to figure out a way to get every girl in their team up and over this wall.

This team in particular tried it a few different ways but were not being successful. They started to get discouraged. I heard things like "We'll never be able to do this." "This is impossible!" "I say we give up."


But just as they got to this point, you know what happened? The Youth Leaders stepped in and started giving suggestions. The adult leaders stepped in and helped spot them.


And they did it! Every single one of them made it over that wall.


I thought of how this relates to life.


There have been so many times in my life where I've said "I'll never be able to do this. This seems impossible. I want to give up."

But just like in the wall challenge, at the point I am ready to give up, it seems like people step in to help or give ideas. Prayers are answered and inspiration comes. I know there must be times when angels on the other side step in to help and we don't even know it.

And as of yet, I've gotten through every one of those impossible seeming challenges. It wasn't always fun. Some I would never want to re-live. But from every challenge I've learned something about life. And I know I wasn't left alone.


Which brought me to my next life lesson application. I asked the girls to think about the teams they were on. I saw a lot of different team dynamics. Some were positive and encouraged each other like the team below (this was the Prison Escape challenge - - the whole team had to figure out a way to get out over the rope without touching it.)
But then I also overheard teams that were negative and made their team members feel terrible if they were slowing them down. Some teams would roll their eyes at certain challenges and say "This is lame." I don't think those teams got much out of it.


So I asked the girls to think about the type of team they have in their life at home. Do you realize that you get to PICK your team in life? Are you choosing to surround yourself with positive influences and people who uplift you? Who make you want to be a better person? Or are you surrounding yourself with people who bring you down. Or tempt you. Or depress you. Or make you want to quit the race altogether?


It sure makes life easier if you have a good team.


Like these gals. Becky Mayhew & Laura Graff are my counselors in YW. And I love them and my secretary / dear friend Stacey (who also is not a camper). They all bring such unique talents to our team and they support me all the way.
Testimony meeting that night was amazing. Our girls are amazing. Brother Cooper did a great job of relating the race at camp to the race of life and how the atonement helps us finish the race. I know Christ carries us at times in our life when we're injured and not able. And for that I am grateful.


I had packed a bag to spend the night Wednesday and then I was going to have to leave by 7 am to get back in time for Brent to go work on Thursday. But our evening finished up around 10:30 pm. I thought - I can either unpack all my stuff and half sleep on a bunk in the cabin and worry about spiders crawling in my sleeping bag all night.


Or I can leave right then and be back by 12:30 in my own comfy bed with my hubby.

I chose the latter.

So even though I didn't sleep at Girls Camp, I felt like I got a good taste of it. I love the YW and I love being a part of their activities. I know I learn so much from them. But I also have so much I want to tell them. Ok scream from the rooftops to them.


Almost every time I talk to them, I remind them of my motto:
"The choices you make today, have eternal consequences."
Choose wisely. All of those seemingly insignificant choices you make in high school, lead you down one path or another. Which one are you choosing?
Still applies to me today, even though I'm almost 20 years out of high school.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not perfect now, nor was I in high school. But because I made mistakes and learned from them I want to share what I've learned with the YW. Yet I struggle with how to teach them without sounding preachy. I struggle on how to let them know just how much I care and love them. I have a lot of learning to do in this calling, I know. But I'm glad that this is one stretch of my amazing race in life. I'm learning so much from it!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

How fun! I love the whole post! And I love the fact that you were able to go and get a taste without having to rough it. You are a great Young Women's President!!!

Owen said...

Ok first tear up of the day...sweet post! You are the PERFECT YW pres Steph.